As a kid,I loved all my subjects.My father was very strict regarding my marks in mathematics.If I used to loose one single mark, my heart used to throb in fear of the reactions of my parents in home.However I don’t know how that fear used to give my puerile sentiments some extra energy.Every moment, something used to reverberate within me that I will prove myself better next time.My experiments with mathematics began when I was in class 5th.I still remember my class teacher Mrs.Madhumita teaching us some short techniques regarding quick calculations.The technique was applicable for two digit numbers whose unit digit is 5.Suddenly ,some innervoice within me boldly questioned, is it that there is no such technique for other numbers, I mean in general all two digit numbers.My teacher’s negative answer gave me a positive power again and I said ,” Miss, if I find such a technique then ???” Looking into my ingenuous eyes , she smiled and said “ no sonali, there’s no such method”and she walked off. But that didn’t stop me.My encephalon gave its support to my wish…and I started working along with 2 of my friends to prove that I was correct and nothing is impossible.I didn’t pay attention to a single other class that day but to everyone’s surprise, at the end of the day , I was ready with a short cut for multiplication of 2 digit numbers.And I still remember how I was running with excitement towards Mrs.Madhumita.She gave an astounding look and had nothing to say.For she saw , what I was explaining her was true.My eyes widened and I realized that I can do impossible things possible…….although that was an exaggerated thought for an adult….for me , being a child, that meant a lot.
Since that day , I was searching for opportunities ,trying to think what new things I can do.My father perhaps realized that my brain was meant for bigger things and made me do sums from Competition Master etc.When I used to find myself being able to solve mathematics coming for civil services exam , that too at the age of a 6th grade student , my confidence grew and I started experimenting everyday with new questions.Its always said, when you seek opportunities, they do knock at your door.And that exactly happened when the Olympiad Society of Orissa started the Junior Mathematics Olympiad (JMO) for the first time when I was in 7th grade.Amidst excess avidity ,I forgot to carry my watch to the exam hall, inspite of knowing that it was a ‘big’ exam.My parents were really tensed .but then somehow I managed.That JMO paper again became an experiment for me.I had 3 hours in hand and a lot many questions.It was a common paper for 6th, 7th and 8th grade students.I still remember the 1st short qn “ if n is a perfect square what will be the next perfect square?” After glancing at the question , for the first few seconds, I felt, i cannot do that.But then that extra energy again revived and came to my rescue.I said to myself “ I have to get the answer “ And surprisingly I solved it; with that positive force I tried the other sums, and reached a score of 42 in a total paper of 100.That was just pass mark according to traditional mathematics paper.So my father shouted at me once he heard about that ,the intensity of which atleast reduced after he saw the paper.
My second experiment’s probability of success was dismal as per me…But then to my surprise, 42 was a good score in such mathematics levels and I was more shocked to find myself ranked 14 in all Orissa.And that time I was the only student from 7th grade from my school and rest all students who had qualified were in 8th grade.Thus ,in this way , God gave me a first lift.Then started the era of me qualifying exams each year and attending camps.My first mathematics Olympiad camp was in the foothills of Jyoti Vihar, Burla.During that time, I was one of the youngest students attending the camp, so full of energy and enthusiasm,I never knew who is Prof.Swadheenanda Patnaik and who is Dr.C K Mohapatro.I had just heard about them.My one of the most embarrassing situations occurred when I had asked Prof .Swadheenanda Patnaik “ excuse me, can u tell me who is Swadheen sir , I want to meet him.” He chuckled.Anyways, if I now start narrating all my fascinating stories of camp life, it would take enough of my wordspace.So , feel like speaking of that sometime next.
So,on went the girl in frocks with pellucid ideas, with unprecedented confidence towards reviewing her 2nd expermiment when she appeared the 2nd JMO exam as a student of 8th grade.Her ingenuous eyes got submerged in an ocean of tears when her father found out that she had committed some silly mistakes in the test.But you know, she silently believed in her fortitude.It was true she didn’t meet the zenith of her goal, but then she was a girl who cannot be stopped by a single failure.”Yes,I ll better myself next time.Atleast I havnt lost out completely, I am 5th in state,May be something more good is there for me in the days to come “,this is what she said to herself, and defying all odds, attended the camp as usual.You know, when someone starts believing in herself, it doesnot go unnoticed always.And perhaps something such had happened when Dr.Swadheennanda Patnaik asked me to attend the training of the senior wing.I was shocked to find myself again the youngest in the senior division.Now I said to myself “ Abhi aur peeche na mudna, I have got another life, I ll prove that I am worth it”.When the classes used to echo with bouncer questions, I used to wonder what to do , how to do .Whenever teachers used to look into my enigmatic expressions,I always used to answer back with my most popular phrase, “I am trying ,ho jayega”; bringing a unique smile unto everyone’s life.Finally I cannot forget that day when Swadheen sir had given 3 questions from congruence modulo as homework.Congruence Modulo was the only topic somewhat within my comprehension out of all those wonder magic.So i wanted to solve them.Back to hostel , I found, all my senior classmates enjoying and looking at me with odd glances of surprise and mockery as I was a child in front of them and I was too sincerely trying hard at those 3 sums.That burned my childish sentiments more and I tried more hard at them.”I can do it ,nothing is impossible”,this was the only thing I was telling to myself.The clock ticked 12:00 midnight, all slept in my room ,but I was still awake.And finally at 1 o’ clock, to my surprise, I hit at the right place.At that time , I just wanted to jump and dance saying “hurrah,I have done it!”But then now my strong desire had turned into a lust .I worked for the other 2 too,…and finally I slept at the break of the morning ,with a true smile on my lips, although just for an hour.Then I marched unto the class, with a glitter in my eyes, yet was feeling a bit afraid , may be my hit is wrong.My heart beat fast when sir asked for the solutions.And my fear grew more intense when I found no one else giving a positive response.Amidst an ominous silence I just mumbled,”I have done it, but I don’t know ,may be I am wrong.”Hey,but hats off to my great teachers,they always studied my impulse very accurately.He straightaway asked me to give the solution on the blackboard.I was not even given any chance for 2nd question or reply.And as I was solving the sums on the board, I found him sitting in a pensive mood and observing me keenly.He said me “good ,sonali “ and then the entire class gave a big applause for me.I never realized why he was so silent except a few words of appreciation till he met my mom in the evening and said ,
“ Mam, I feel you should be really proud of your daughter, today she has silenced me by her hardwork and intelligence,today she has done something which even people elder to her have failed to , today she has really proved that she deserved much more,we people have grown high hopes on her now,I feel she will surely shine in future and fulfill our dreams.” Hearing all these golden words, I thanked GOD,and made up my mind for my next mission.
My next mission will come in Mathematics and me –part 2 , till then goodbye…..
No comments:
Post a Comment